Librarian teacher discusses children's books. Students are encouraged to contribute their own book review or short summary of fiction or nonfiction books. This blog is of interest to 3rd through 6th graders.

Three Good Deeds

What a strange little book! I just finished reading this enjoyable story by Vivian Vande Velde, another Maud Hart Lovelace Nominee and found it to be unlike any other story I have read. Maybe that is why it was chosen to be a nominee. I think younger readers will get a kick out of "How-Word"—that is what the geese call him. As the title implies, three good deeds are involved here and it seems such a simple thing to do but Howard is having lots of trouble finding good things to do. I wonder if the reader can give Howard some ideas. One thing I liked about the book is the names of the geese, such as Mighty-Beak/Bone-Crusher and Scared-By-A-Rabbit and Moonlight-Gives-Her-Down-A-Silver-Glow.

You may have read other books by Vande Velde such as Heir Apparent or Never Trust a Dead Man, both are in the SJV library and have been Maud Hart Nominees in the past. I am winding down my list of nominees, my goal was to read all the Division I titles before school starts. Of course I've read several other books that weren't MHL books, too. It has been a good book summer!

No comments: