Librarian teacher discusses children's books. Students are encouraged to contribute their own book review or short summary of fiction or nonfiction books. This blog is of interest to 3rd through 6th graders.

Jackie's Wild Seattle

I just started Jackie's Wild Seattle by Will Hobbs last night and read some more this morning. It is a great book. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. So far I know that the animal lovers in our school will love this book, I can already picture those of you (older readers, 5th or 6th graders) who will check this book out!

Two siblings from New York are visiting their mom's brother in Seattle for the summer while their parents are in Pakistan for nine weeks. Their uncle has a great job (volunteering) for a wild animal rescue operation. Jackie is an older woman who runs Jackie's Wild Seattle and the brother and sister and Uncle Neal stay with her. She seems like a warm and likable character that everyone can learn from. To me good writing is important for me to like a book, but a good story is important for me to love a book and recommend it to others. I haven't even finished this book yet and I recommend it. More later....

Later...
I finished the book and it was even better than I thought. I loved it! Uncle Neal gets hurt on a rescue so Shannon (the 14 year old) helps him with the wild animal rescues. Many animals from coyotes to bats to beavers to eagles are rescued. This book is similar to Cages by Peg Kehert in that one of the characters in this book is also sentenced to do community service working with animals. It is a young man Shannon befriends by listening to his troubles. I don't want to give too much away with the story but you will have a new appreciation for wildlife and the power of relationships with two-legged and four-legged in healing.

No comments: