Librarian teacher discusses children's books. Students are encouraged to contribute their own book review or short summary of fiction or nonfiction books. This blog is of interest to 3rd through 6th graders.

11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass

Do you have a friend that you've had since you were little? A child of your parents' friends perhaps, or maybe a neighborhood kid that doesn't need any special arrangements to just come over anytime and play. Maybe someone you've know since your first daycare.

Amanda and Leo have known each other since their birthday, their real Birth Day—they were born on the same day! They have a special friendship, even though they are boy and girl, they have celebrated every birthday together up to their tenth birthday. Now it is their eleventh birthday and this will be their first party they have separately but the day is not at all what either one of them could imagine, even the fourth time or fifth time around! Find out about their eleventh birthdays in this Maud Hart Lovelace book nominee.

I like this story of friendship, it reminded me of my childhood friend who lived next door to me all while I was growing up. I met her when I was two years old. I am two months older than she is but we never went to the same school and yet we always remained special friends. Now she lives two states away. I think I will write her a letter when I am done with this post. Friendship is a gift you never want to lose.