Librarian teacher discusses children's books. Students are encouraged to contribute their own book review or short summary of fiction or nonfiction books. This blog is of interest to 3rd through 6th graders.

Swindle

I finally read this book! When Scholastic highlighted this book on their DVD last year for the book fair, I was a little turned off by their sales pitch (and the cover of the book, too I hate to admit). But so many of my students read the book and really liked it, I thought I would give it a try. I totally enjoyed it! It would make a good movie.
This adventure story starts out with Griffin's family about to lose their house. When Griffin finds a baseball card worth a ton of money, he figures his family will be rich and not have to move. BUT not when the antagonist, S. Wendell aka Swindle acquires the card. Griffin's home is at stake here and he is so desperate that he comes up with an awesome plan to get the card back. Retrieving the card made me really nervous but I admired the way all the characters had a unique talent to contribute to the scheme.

No comments: