Librarian teacher discusses children's books. Students are encouraged to contribute their own book review or short summary of fiction or nonfiction books. This blog is of interest to 3rd through 6th graders.

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo

I read this book to myself in one sitting and I felt as I was reading it that I should be reading it aloud. It has lots of quirky and bizarre characters whose voices needed to be heard. A very different book from DiCamillo's other books, very haunting and dark. Everyone in the book had losses and needs. I felt frustrated with the caretaker of 10 year old Peter Augustus Duchene, who didn't have his best interests at heart. But the magic and poetry of the writing and the possibilities of Peter being reunited with his "dead" sister kept me enchanted until the end.

No comments: