Librarian teacher discusses children's books. Students are encouraged to contribute their own book review or short summary of fiction or nonfiction books. This blog is of interest to 3rd through 6th graders.

Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos

I was driving home from somewhere and listening to the radio and there was Jack Gantos, recent Newbery Medal Award winner telling a story from his life to the audience. This author was so entertaining!
A few days later, I see my grandson and he says he is reading the funniest story ever! Could it be? Yes, his mom is reading it aloud to him and he thinks the weird stuff Jack does and writes about is hilarious. His favorite thing (so far) is when the old lady's hearing aid lands in the toilet and the firefighters must help her out.
Perhaps I needed to be nine years old to enjoy this book, but I gave it a try and yes, I did enjoy it.
Give Dead End in Norvelt a chance, perhaps you can even solve the mystery of why all the old folks are dying.