Librarian teacher discusses children's books. Students are encouraged to contribute their own book review or short summary of fiction or nonfiction books. This blog is of interest to 3rd through 6th graders.

Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

I wished this story didn't end. And then I can't believe I actually started reading it.
The trouble was that I listened to someone say they didn't like the book. And for over a year I put off reading this 2011 Newbery Medal book. Everyone is different, and we don't all like the same kinds of books. I love books with well developed characters (Abilene, Miss Sadie, Shady, Hattie Mae) and interesting information from historical time periods (1917, 1936) mixed into the story. Plus I enjoy profound change that takes place in people, such as with the immigrants in the story. Immigrants from Turkey, Greece, Italy, France and Germany fill the pages. All have stories of their journey to America. Stories, the glue that brings them together. But those are the things I like. Perhaps you like a mystery, or tree houses and spying on your neighbors? This novel has those plus a cigar box with many secrets. Will you discover along with Abilene the secrets of Manifest?